Friday, November 6, 2015

Arrivals: WIP

Working images for 'Arrivals' (pentaptych)

My method was to print the images with no prior planning/designing of the final layout. This led to some troubles by the time it came to do 4th layer, but for the most part this was a liberating approach. There was some deliberation, yes, but I had no idea how the final outcome would look - and  I didn't do any initial registration prints onto plastic, either, so each initial print was a surprise.
I did 4 editions of each page (4x5=20 pages total) but with 12+ individual prints on each, I only managed to get one suite of clean final works. So the result is truly an 'original print.'

Above: beginning the second layer

Before cleaning the stencils, I decided to print them on fabric, too.


After the second layer...



And after the third layer.

This is where it became tricky to decide where the next and final layer - blue/winter produce - would be positioned, so I did some cut-outs of tissue paper to play around with the  different possibilities.

The result 


Finally, since I had four unique soy bean images and four colours to work with, I printed one of each colour - so that, like the conveyor work, it is still a statement about seasonality / globalisation / genetic modification / food deserts / crop diversity (or lack thereof) / processed food, as well as being overtly about biosecurity and processes such as irradiation.