Monday, September 7, 2015

An idea for presentation of the petri dish works

The petri dishes I've been using each have a base and a lid. I realised recently that the lid isn't necessary, and that removing it also gets rid of a lot of edges, ridges, and overlapping plastic that disrupts the vision of the viewer. With the lids on, the dishes could be stacked easily. Without them, the bases can be lodged together - I just might need to find a way of incorporating some glue to make sure they stay. 
On the right, the original work (excuse the tape); on the left is a version without the lids, so the prints are more clear.


If they're not stacked up (everyone in my crit with Lisa agreed that the 'stacking' makes the viewing experience difficult - they would be best at eye level and the viewer needs to be able to move around them to see all the angles) and I tacked some to the wall in the studio to see what they might look like...


Again, ignoring the tape, I'm really happy about this effect.
It's like the conveyor belts - taking something that's usually flat, on the level of a bench or a table, and making it a wall mounted work. It's kind of like Simon Denny turning things upside down.