Friday, August 14, 2015

Documentation week 22: petri dishes, second incarnation

Following from my kiwifruit sculpture, I did a few more petri dish works, using other fruits/veggies and techniques...

A banana.
As they were cut into 5mm segments, the fruits/veggies each became 3 times its height when separated and stacked. I loved the ridiculousness of it.



I then realised that from the one banana, I could make 2 or 3 smaller ones simply by dividing the layers evenly. Above is one banana turned into two; every second dish separated.

The next experiment was removing the banana from its peel on each layer, resulting in one banana-flesh and one empty peel retaining its shape.



I did the same with a kiwifruit and tomato, taking only each 2nd/3rd segment to 'compress' the form back into a life-size height.
Then I tried stacking them all on top of each other. They were deliberately chosen for their colours - thinking here about 'traffic light' food labelling.