Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Documentation weeks 15-18 'The Colonel'

While painting the large-scale watercolour of popcorn, and going slightly mad in the process, I kept finding what looked like morbid faces in the shapes of the kernels. I got thinking about the implications of this - a bizarre but possibly interesting juxtaposition? - and the possibility of referencing vanities with popcorn. This idea also led me to this antiquated website: Popcornface, and I knew I had to do it.
The image below was made by combining skull-like elements from different kernels. However the result is still not as subtle as I would like it, so I might try again... but probably not. On reflection I feel like using an image of a skull oversimplifies the ideas I'm interested in. Skulls generally imply "X=inevitable death" and I'm much more interested in the complexities, complications, misinformation etc of food systems.