Friday, May 1, 2015

X-rays

On a whim last week, after looking at images like these and these, I fired an enquiry around to a few radiology clinics in Auckland, to ask how much they would quote for an art student to take x-ray images of fruits and vegetables using their machine. One quote I received back was for $80 per image…
Then I got a reply from Mercy Radiology in Epsom, to say that they were more than happy for me to come in and use their x-ray machine, no charge. I can't believe my luck!
They scheduled me in for Friday afternoon, so yesterday I bought a bag full of produce to scan. There were two radiographers helping me, and they couldn't have been more enthusiastic! In fact they got SO into it we took 10 X-rays in total. I think they were thrilled to play around and do something a bit fun and different, especially in the last hour of work on a Friday afternoon. They thought it was hilarious, and excitedly showed off the images to all the other staff who came past.  "Hey - what do you think is wrong with this patient?"


I found it funny that in their image processing program, each x-ray had to be filed and treated as a different body part. The above image used the settings for a 'wrist' and the pineapple and butternut squash were scanned as 'skulls'…


At one stage the radiographers had to phone their boss to explain that some funny looking images were going to be on their system and could he please just ignore/delete them.

This project just got real.