Friday, April 3, 2015
































Peter Doig

Various sources, including scans from library books as well as Google Images.

Lisa Crowley asked me last week what kind of art I look at. My response was that I look at artists who do the exact opposite of what I tend to do. I make small, linear, detailed works. By contrast, my favourite artworks are always big, colourful, gestural, messy. Like Doig’s.

Does that signify something? Does it mean I should try breaking out of my comfort zone? I’m not sure, but I would kill to make art like this.

Books referenced: 

Peter Doig (Adrian Searle; Kitty Scott; Catherine Grenier. London : Phaidon 2007.)

Peter Doig : no foreign lands (Parinaz Mogadassi; Jeff Alford; Hilton Als; Michael Werner (Gallery); Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.; Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Montreal : Montreal Museum of Fine Arts ; Edinburgh : National Galleries Scotland ; Ostfildern Germany : Hatje Cantz c2013.)

Peter Doig, blizzard seventy-seven. (Kunsthalle zu Kiel.; Whitechapel Art Gallery.; Kunsthalle Nürnberg.; Contemporary Fine Arts (Gallery)
Bielefeld : Kerber Verlag; Kiel : Kunsthalle zu Kiel ; London : Whitechapel Art Gallery c1998.)