Sunday, April 26, 2015

Documentation Weeks 7-8

After my research for the printmaking workshop/exhibition, I'm still interested in bees and paper making. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to find some steel honeycomb (which is used in the bottom of the laser cutter, and I've also seen it in the base of food cabinets in cafes...), and after hours of searching online and going to different hardware shops, I found one place in Newmarket that sold it... 
in 3 metre panels, shipped from overseas, at $1200 each.
Not going to happen.
But, in this same shop, a sample of a sort of folded cardboard panel caught my eye. And I thought maybe I'll just MAKE some honeycomb.


I first tried it with yellow pages, but the paper was too thin to be able to see and work with the folds. So I picked up a piece of scrap card to experiment with. The result was this little test:



Admittedly, it annoys me that it's not geometrically spot-on; but hopefully I'll find a better + more accurate technique for folding and gluing.
I was surprised by how much I liked the effect of the bits of writing that are visible in the honeycomb cells. Hope to push this idea...

Above: displayed with an embossed etching of bees in honeycomb