Sunday, April 26, 2015

Documentation Weeks 7-8: 'Decisions' (dominoes)

I really, really struggle with decisions.
It's embarrassing how often have minor mental breakdowns over the smallest everyday choices -  I agonise over what to put on my toast or cook for dinner, and it can take me an hour to decide what to wear....  I'm also the worst person to go out for a meal with. Deciding what to order is excruciating. I can never make my mind up, and once I do, I'll probably change it.
For the same reason, grocery shopping takes me forever. I look at labels. I scrutinise them. There are so many labels that are used to manipulate you, the consumer. Empty catch phrases like 'All Natural' might make you think it's a good decision. But actually, that means nothing.
And on the other hand, there are so many things that I know to watch out for and, if possible, to avoid. But unlike 'All Natural', these things aren't acknowledged on the packaging. If they're there at all, they're hidden. In fine print, on a nutritional table, or listed under an ambiguous name / number. Palm oil, BPA, animal testing - no one ever advertises these things on their products.
No matter how hard I try, it often feels to me that m ny of these things are unavoidable and that everything I buy, no matter how plant-based/local/eco-friendly, is still bound to be corrupt in some way. When it comes to food choices, it seems like you can never win.

That's where this idea came from.





Laser cut and engraved. Engraved text is painted with acrylic.

-Trying to acknowledge the dichotomy of (food) choices
-Who is art for? In my crit with Lisa we talked about the accessibility of illustration, and how it functions for children / adults. Like Audrey Niffeneger's illustrated artist books, or the wonderful book 'Go the Fuck to Sleep'.
This got me thinking about games, as something that operates along the same kind of lines... i.e. things which are meant for children, but can also be for adults. (particularly in a fine art context.)
-Since the 'Story of Stuff' video I posted a while back, I've been thinking about the analogy of consumerism as a game. Simple yet effective.
-Judy suggested looking at this idea of analogies
-Also interested in the idea of the domino effect, which I see this as potentially positive. I'm hoping to suggest that yes, our decisions as consumers seem small, but they have a flow-on effect and a lot of impact further down the line, whether or not we see or think about it. Each little choice is an opportunity, a vote, a catalyst.